Tuesday, September 30, 2008

LEGS!!!

Yeah! Lily got her cast off today! We are so super excited about it. For the first time in 16 weeks we got to see her belly button and her knees.
We got up at 5:00 and Spencer and I got ready. While I pumped he got the diaper bag packed. Then we roused Ollie out of bed at 5:30. He was sound asleep. I took off half of his pajamas before he even woke up. :) While I got Ollie, Spencer got Lily changed. We loaded them up and I drove over to Dallas. (Spencer had to work.) Ollie was super good! We explained to him ahead of time that he wouldn't be able to have a drink or eat in the car because it would make Lily sad. After we got there they gave Lily some versed which made her really silly and tired. She just kept blowing raspberries over and over again. Ollie just sat and watched cartoons on the TV. Then they took Lily off to the operating room. The doctor came and talked to me while she was in the recovery room. He said that her hip looks good; it's in the right spot now. She has a lot of scarring in her left hip so they were not able to see the head of the femur very well, so still not many ideas about how the shape of it is coming along (it's mushroom shaped instead of ball shaped). He did say that the femur head is really big for the socket. He didn't feel that she needed to be in the cast any longer but she will still wear a brace at night and for naps. Her new brace is called a Hippo brace (How insulting to compair little kids to hippo's.) Lily was super mad after they brought her back. She hates anesthesia and is always super grumpy after she has surgery. She just kept screaming and so finally the nurse said "I think she is breathing fine, why don't you go home now." Nothing like a screaming kid to get us out of there fast. :) She was a little happier after we got her home and fed. We will follow up with the hospital in 6 weeks. We really love the Scottish Rite Hospital. They are just so nice everytime we go in.



This picture is Lily right after we got home and fed her some prunes. Anesthesia makes her constipated. :) She is wearing some special stockings that they put on her before they showed me how to put her brace on. Her legs are super sensitive and I had a dress for her instead of pants.



This is her cute (and dirty) belly button. We will give her a nice bath tonight when Papa is home to help. I'm not sure if this first bath will be good or painful so I'd much rather have help from someone older than my super three year old helper.



Here's Lily's cute little legs. They are extra sensitive right now. She scratched them on the way home from the hospital and even with the leggings they started to bleed. Because of her ichthyosis she has thicker than normal scales on her legs. With time and treatment they will look normal again. :) We are excited to be able to start physical therapy. Our almost one year old will finally be able to learn to roll over! After that we will work on all the other normal baby things. :)

5 comments:

Lara's blog said...

Yeah!! Isn't it nice to see her cute little pudgy legs? We are happy for her!

Lindsey said...

Yay for Lily!! And for all of you. You're right--her belly button and knees are pretty cute. :)

chiara family said...

Oh Shreanne I really miss her!!.
Give her legs kisses from me I can't believe it has been a year.wow..
Love to you all we are not coming to Dallas now for the game we looked at our account and lo and behold no moey for gas. I went for a run yesterday and Anya rode her bike next to me while I pushed Nadia and Anya asked when you guys will be coming back. I tried to change the subject but it didn't work so I had to promise that we would come and visit.

Jana and Mario said...

Hooray! We are so excited for you guys and happy that things are looking good!

zimfam said...

congratulations Stirland family and especially Lily!