Monday, March 1, 2010

We have a READER!!

Ollie has joined the world of readers! Back in August I decided that Ollie was ready to learn to read. I asked several friends for recommendations of reading programs. I picked a book called "Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons" by Siegried Engelmann, Phyllis Haddox, and Elaine Bruner. I picked it because it was only one book that I had to buy, it had great reviews, and it was easy to follow. I loved this program because it told ME exactly what to do to teach him to read.

Ollie just finished the book last Friday. I am so PROUD of him. He has worked so hard. He can really read now! We had many battles about it along the way (he gets his stubbornness from me) but now we get to read "real" books. I'm still planning on reading with him everyday but we are going to transition over to picture books now. He is very excited about it! He keeps saying, "Reading opens up a whole new world."

After six months of lessons I let him pick a reward. I gave him several options: 1- Chuck E'Cheese as a family 2- Take a friend out for ice cream 3- Take a friend to the museum 4- Tea Party with friends. He picked a tea party with friends. He then proceeded to tell me all the friends he was going to invite... needless to say, he has many friends and he wanted all of them. We came to a nice conclusion... we will have the party on a school day (to exclude school age friends) and we will keep the guests list to girls and have another party later for the boys. He then told me how to decorate the house and all the food I need to fix. He's got the whole thing planned out in his mind. Hopefully, I can get the plans close to what he wants. :)

2 comments:

Stamp With Linz said...

He's such a smart (and darling) boy. Congrats on the big accomplishment. We've been working with Ava a bit too, its fun to see the world open up to them. We're not as far as you guys, but we're making progress! Also, I would love to see the stubborn side of you, I've seen nothing but loveliness. :)

Nathan Beck said...

Good job Ollie! You will need to read me a story when you come and visit Utah this summer. I can't wait to see you!